Do only introverts love reading? Spending hours, alone, with a book, does seem to be the perfect activity for someone who is satisfied spending a day with me, myself, and I. The cliché is that all bookworms are introverts, and, like all stereotypes, it’s not really true.
Sure, lots of dedicated readers are introverts. But the main fact the stereotype forgets is that all readers are human, and humans come in infinite variety. There are plenty of extroverts who love the written word, and lots of ambiverts either hanging out with them or chilling on their own.
Do you have the traits of an extrovert bookworm? An introvert? Or a combination, depending on the day and the book? Read on to decide which traits are yours.
- Feel recharged after a long period spent with a good book.
- Feel the sense of being a part of the collective human experience after reading.
- Live in multiple times and places within the pages of a book. Not having to leave the house to do it is a bonus.
- Enjoy thinking about what they’ve read.
- Would say that a good book is equivalent to a conversation with the author.
- Enjoy the little details that go into worldbuilding in fiction.
- Dig into deep, passionate conversations about the meanings within a story.
- Do not need to talk about the book to anyone to enjoy it very much.
- Dislike lots of outside stimuli when reading—no crowded café with lots of blinky lights and smells and a loud band, thank you!
- Would rather not read something just because everyone else is reading it. Interests aren’t contagious like a virus. You come with your own.
- Would much rather read than go meet a lot of new people at once.
- Feel recharged after a short period spent with an interesting book.
- Enjoy the chance to talk about a good book with others.
- Enjoy bringing the concepts of the book out into practical, daily use.
- Like talking about what they’ve read—in a book club or online fan forum.
- Would say that a good book should spark conversations.
- Enjoy the scope of the worldbuilding in fiction when entire new worlds are created.
- Dig into multiple conversations about a good story. The more the merrier and every new person is a chance to hear a new reason why the book was so excellent.
- Love to list everything awesome about the book to share with others who loved it too.
- Don’t mind outside stimuli when reading. If it’s a good book distraction don’t matter, and if it’s not that good taking a few breaks is fine anyway.
- Would love to read a popular book, it’s a conversation starter!
- Would much rather go see the movie adaptation of the book with lots of new people than stay home and start a new book.
What do you think? Do you read as an introvert? An extrovert? Or a mix of both?